Call toll-free 844-432-6467
or complete the form at the bottom of this page to request an appointment.
Our current counseling fee is $175.
Reverse Mortgage Counseling Payment Tool
We collect the fee at the time of counseling. Please use this payment tool only if directed to do so by your counselor. We accept all major credit and debit cards. Low-income clients or those with other hardships should ask the counselor about our pay-at-closing option. NOTE: To pay with a credit card, click on the row of credit card icons, not the gray PayPal button.
HOPE is a HUD-approved housing counseling agency, and has a team of expert reverse mortgage (Home Equity Conversion Mortgage or HECM) counselors who are qualified by HUD to provide the official HECM counseling needed in order to apply for a reverse mortgage. We also provide counseling for the Equity Elite proprietary reverse mortgage. We provide counseling nationwide, by telephone, and we also offer in-person and in-home counseling in St. Louis, Missouri; Portland, Oregon, and at some of our other branch locations. (Note that in-person counseling is temporarily unavailable due to Covid pandemic. We have counselors located in Missouri, North Carolina, Indiana, Illinois, Minnesota, Nevada, and Oregon.
If you already have a reverse mortgage and you’re in trouble, check out our Help for HECM Borrowers page for information about services especially for people like you.
When you receive HECM counseling from one of our top-notch counselors, you will:
- Receive unbiased, accurate information about reverse mortgages (HECMs) from someone who works for you, not the lender;
- Discuss your specific needs and wishes and consider whether other options might be worth looking into, instead of OR in addition to the reverse mortgage;
- Get personalized loan estimates and learn how to interpret the estimates you may get from lenders;
- Have someone that you can call if questions arise while you are applying to get the reverse mortgage.
Steps in the reverse mortgage counseling process
- The intake call: Your counselor will gather information she or he needs to prepare personalized documents for you, including your estimated home value, the amount of debt you have on the house, and your thoughts about how you want to use the reverse mortgage. You will also set up your counseling appointment during this call.
- The counseling session: Your HECM counselor will discuss the way reverse mortgages work, the costs and benefits, the options and alternatives, and the long-term implications for you and your heirs. This discussion is tailored to your individual needs and situation. All information shared with the counselor is confidential.
- Review of loan estimates: Counselors use software to generate loan estimates, similar to those you receive from lenders (but usually more personalized). The counselor will walk you through those estimates, make sure you understand all the unfamiliar terminology, and discuss costs, including which costs may vary.
- Counseling certificate: After the counseling session, your counselor will send you the official HUD HECM Counseling Certificate, which qualifies you to complete a reverse mortgage application with any lender.
- Follow-up: A few months after counseling, your counselor will get back in touch to see how things turned out and answer any additional questions or concerns.